We produce the widely renowned Instant® flour from quality maize carefully selected from our farmers. The concept of instant foods was conceived from three facts that:
- Conventional meals take long to cook in a rapidly growing economy where people have much less time for household culinary chores,
- Burdensome energy cost due to skyrocketing wood and charcoal prices... that will quickly be unaffordable to many households/ institutions,
- Alarming deforestation rate due to increasingly lucrative charcoal and wood fuel trade.
Traditional maize meal (posho) requires over 30 minutes of cooking and porridge a lot more, impressing a considerable energy (firewood, charcoal, electricity) demand on consumers and drudgery (including exposure to smoke) on culinary staff or women and girl-child who prepare family meals.
Conversely, instant flour has merits below:
- Instant cooking within only 3 minutes.
- Long shelf life of over 6 months because steaming and kilning at high temperatures during production process strongly reduce microbiological counts,
- No change in taste! Same texture, elasticity and mouth feel as meals prepared from conventional maize flour.
The socio-environmental benefits are immense, and these are:
- Energy Savings: Significant reduction in cooking time saves energy and reduces socio-environmental burdens of deforestation or prolonged exposure of women and girls to indoor emissions in kitchens.
- Enhanced Food Safety: The shelf life of instant flour is more than 6 months because steaming and kilning at high temperatures during production reduces microbiological counts to negligible levels unlike in conventional flour.
- Nutrition: There are opportunities for fortification with a broad spectrum of vitamins and minerals during production to the health benefit of consumers.
Instant flour is a wise choice for environment and cost-sensitive consumers such as:
- Schools/ Training institutions
- Police/ military/ prisons
- Emergency operations
- Refugee settlements